CLUB SCHEDULE 2018
- Tues 16th, 7pm : Photo Sharing - Holiday Pics
- Open, Creative, Troubleshooting.
- Outing: No outing
- Only one meeting in Jan!
- Tues 6th, 7pm : Practical Workshop - Creative Food Photography. Bring your cameras, tripods, flashes and triggers.
- Tues 20th, 7pm : Photo Sharing - Set Subject (Various Topics), Open, Creative, Troubleshooting.
FEBRUARY SET SUBJECT & OUTING
- Set Subject: Various Topics - each member has one topic.
- Outing : 24 Feb, 5am - Durban Beach sunrise - Moyo Pier.
- Breakfast at Afro's Chicken .
- Tues, 6th, 7pm : Speaker - Matthew Willman - "Tripping Over Presidents".
- Tues 20th, 7pm : Photo Sharing - Set Subject (Worm's Eye View), Open, Creative, Outing,Troubleshooting.
- Photo judging by Robbie Aspeling.
MARCH SET SUBJECT & OUTINGS
- Set Subject - "Worm's Eye View" - Low perspective, from the ground up, wide angle.
- Outing : Fri, 2nd March - Montiseel - Sunset and moonrise. Weather permitting. Alternative shoot - 31 March
- Shooting Opportunity - Festival of the Chariots - 30 March 2018.
- Tues, 3rd, 7pm: Speaker - David Larsen, Media Africa Online. "The Digital Workflow"
- Tues, 17th, 7pm: Photo Sharing - Set Subject (Diptych), Open, Creative, Outing, Troubleshooting.
APRIL SET SUBJECT AND OUTING
- Set Subject: "Diptych" Two photos tell a story. Using two images, side by side, tell a story. You will be required to conceptualise and create two images that together tell a story, or depict one topic. Two separate images, placed side by side.
- Outing : Sat 21st April, "Fire Dancer" on the beach.
- 5pm - 8pm. Dylan will dance for us, in the sunset light. Once dark, he will light his fire, and do some fire dancing on the beach. R30 to cover Dylan's costs.
- Shooting Opportunity - South Coast Bike Festival in Margate. 27-30 April
- Tues, 8th, 7pm: Harry Lock - Portrait Photography and Personal Projects.
- Tues, 22nd, 7pm: Photo Sharing - Set Subject (Circles), Open, Outing, Creative, Troubleshooting.
- Photo judging by Pieter Venter of Westville Camera Club.
MAY SET SUBJECT AND OUTING
- Set Subject - "Circles" - Photograph any type or kind of circle - single or multiples. Explore the shape and form, within nature or in an abstract form. Use your imagination.
- Judging by Pieter Venter of Westville Camera Club.
- Outing - 25,26,27 May. Weekend Away to Mpila, Umfolozi Game Reserve. Wildlife photography.
- Tues 5th, 7pm: Speakers - Andrew and Kazalette Pike - "A Trip of a Lifetime" - Uganda and the mountain gorillas.
- Tues 19th, 6pm: AGM
- Tues 19th, 7pm: Photo Sharing. Set Subject (Create from the kitchen), Open, Outing, Creative, Troubleshooting.
JUNE SET SUBJECT AND OUTINGS
- Tues 19th: Set Subject - "Create From the Kitchen" - Still life scene created from anything in the kitchen. From realistic to the abstract, use food, fruit, appliances, utensils to make up a scene. Can only be a kitchen scene. Can be realistic, or abstract.
- Outing: Sat 23rd June, 9am. Moses Mabhida Stadium Tour.
- Tues 3rd, 7pm: Speaker - John Gatherer, Travel and Adventure Photographer
- Tues 17th, 7pm: Photo Sharing. Set Subject (Minimalism), Open, Outing, Creative, Troubleshooting.
- The Grand Prize Awards, Part 1.
JULY SET SUBJECT AND OUTINGS
- Tues 17th: Set Subject - Minimalism. Explore the power of negative space, and what you can create when the subject is placed in a area of space.
- Judging by Ben Myburgh, Westville Camera Club.
- Outing: Sat 28th - Makaranga Garden Lodge. 1230pm to 3pm.
- Tues 7th, 7pm: Carl Smorenburg - Botswana, Kubu Island.
- Tues 21st, 7pm: Photo Sharing. Set Subject (Textures), Open, Outing(Makaranga), Creative, Troubleshooting.
AUGUST SET SUBJECT AND OUTINGS
- Tues 15th: Set Subject - Textures. Rough, smooth. Natural, man made. Explore the touch and feel of an object through it's textures. Illustrate clearly in the image what the textures are, using depth of field.
- Outing: Sat 25th Aug - Food Photography Workshop at Meryl's School of Cooking.
- 10 to1pm.
- Tues 4th, 7pm: Carl Smorenburg - Luminosity Masks Workshop
- Tues 18th, 7pm: Photo Sharing. Set Subject (Boundries), Open, Outing, Creative, Troubleshooting.
SEPTEMBER SET SUBJECT AND OUTINGS
- Tues 18th: Set Subject - Boundaries. Fences, walls, gates. Show where they lead, what they contain. Use the compositional tool of leading lines to add strength to the image. Or illustrate what is being contained within the boundary.
- Outing: Sun 30th Sept - Benvie Gardens.
- Tues 2nd, 7pm: John Thackeray - The Travelling Photographer.
- Tues 16th, 7pm: Photo Sharing. Set Subject (Bent, broken and busted), Open, Creative, Outing, Troubleshooting.
OCTOBER SET SUBJECT AND OUTINGS
- Tues 17th: Set Subject - Bent, broken and busted. No people. Can be buildings, places, or objects. Have to clearly see the condition. Explore texture and tone. Create a mood, using colour and texture.
- Judging by Pieter Venter of Westville CC.
- Outing: Sat 27 Oct, 7am
- Durban Beach front and promenade.
- Meet at North Beach
- Tues 6th, 7pm: "In The Style Of" - Harry Lock explores photographers' styles and gives examples.
- Tues 20th, 7pm: Photo Sharing. Set Subject (In the Style Of), Open, Outing, Creative, Troubleshooting
NOVEMBER SET SUBJECT AND OUTINGS
- Photo Sharing: Set Subject - In The Style Of. Explore the style and techniques of other photographers. Choose one photographer, and attempt to shoot in the style of that person.
- Outing: Sat 24 Nov, 10am
- Springside Nature Reserve
- Tues 4th, 7pm: Year End Party and announcement of the winner of the Grand Competition, Part 2.
- Photo Sharing. Set Subject (Your Best Photo of The Year), Outing(Springside Nature Reserve), Open, Creative, Troubleshooting.
SET SUBJECT - Your Best Photo of 2018
The Grand Competition, Part Two
Outings - Once a month we go on a photographic outing, into Durban and its surrounds, on . Depending on the outing, it could be an early morning session on the beach, to get the sunrise over the sea. Or a night shoot on top of one of Durban's tallest buildings. There is normally a meal involved - we affectionately call ourselves 'The Eating Club with a Camera Problem', as we usually organise outings around a meal of some kind. Taking photos can be hungry work! Members are strongly encouraged to attend the outings, as they are the perfect way to learn from others, either by watching what they do, or by asking questions.
Note: Hillcrest Camera Club reserves the right to change the schedule at any point during the year, for any reason. We will always try to give ample notice, however please keep checking the schedule for revisions and changes.